MyMenu1

Woodworking Tip: Working from the Factory Edge

A factory edge is the edge of a board or sheet good cut at a mill or factory. With oriented strand board (OSB), the factory edge is normally painted an orangish-red color or blue or green. Plywood is usually not colored, but the factory edge is the perimeter of the wood.

When working with dimensional lumber, the factory edge has usually been planed and sanded smooth. I have noticed, especially with pine, the dimensional lumber is smooth on the four sides, but the ends are a little rough. 

The trick to a nice, straight cut is working from the factory edge. This applies mostly to sheet goods (e.g., 4x8 pieces). When making more then one cross-cut or rip cut, it is important to understand where the factory edge is. Obviously, the first cut will be from a factory edge. If I only have one more cut, I will flip the sheet so I run the factory edge along the fence. That way I know I am starting from a straight edge. I pay attention to the factory edges when making cuts so I can run as many factory edges along the fence as possible. I also always try to pull my measurements from the factory edge. A cut edge will never be as straight as the factory edge.

During your next project, pay attention to the factory edge and work from it when making a cross-cut or rip cut or pulling measurements. 

2 comments :

  1. The above post is entirely dedicated to a very important topic concussions. You have indeed shared a very informative post. Thanks for sharing.
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't tried using this when working with woodwork but I might find it useful someday - who knows! Thanks for sharing this tip.

    ReplyDelete