MyMenu1

Woodworking Tip: Cutting Larger Wood Pieces First, Then Smaller Pieces


Now this may seem like common sense, but for the novice woodworker, this tip could prove invaluable. When doing a project that involves many cuts from the same sheet or piece of wood, it is a good idea to cut out all the largest pieces first and then move on to the smaller pieces. This will ensure that there is enough material for the larger pieces. The smaller pieces are easier to make work with the scraps from the large cuts.

If you have any unusually long pieces or awkward shapes, it is worth planning out your cutting layout ahead of time to make the best use of your material. The professional woodworkers use computer software and computerized saws to make exact measurements to utilize every last piece of wood. Careful cutting layout can save you money and reduce waste.

What I like to do when buying material is to buy a little more than I need. If I have any left over, I return it to the store for a refund. There is nothing more frustrating then being at the end of a project and not having enough material. I would much rather return some extra material at my convenience than make an emergency trip to the lumber store to finish my project.

No comments :

Post a Comment