MyMenu1

Tutorial: Getting Rid of the Over-the-Door Hooks


I have a slight obsession with organization.  Lately, I've felt the need to finally cross of a couple of projects that have been on my to-do list TJ's honey-do list.  One of them was the silverware drawer, one is the cookie sheet cupboard (tutorial coming soon!), and then one was towel hooks for our bathrooms.


The towel hooks are such a small thing, but I was always surprised how much they bothered me.  There isn't enough room to hang more than a couple things on just one hook, if you buy the over-the-door hooks that hold a lot of stuff, they take up a lot of room.  Not only that, but all of the over-the-door hooks make it hard to open and close doors regularly.  Then, you have to worry about them sliding around and scratching the paint on the door.  Like I said, they are so small but I really can't stand them!  I decided there must be a better, and more permanent, solution to my towel problem.


It's really, really easy to find simple Hook Rails/Coat Hooks like the one pictured above, but there is a problem if you want to install them on a door.  Doors are hollow!  That means a regular drywall anchor won't work for holding the Hook Rail onto your door.  Also, a regular screw (like the ones they include with the Hook Rail) won't hold it onto a door either.  So, I decided to do a little research and.... ta da!


Look what I found... Hollow Door Anchors!  The solution to my problem.  Now, I could buy my Hook Rail and I had a safe way to anchor it to my bathroom doors.  Not only that, but these anchors hold 40 pounds so I knew they would be safe when my kids are trying to yank their towels off the rack.  I bought two Hook Rails (one for my bathroom and one for the kids' bathroom) so I only needed one pack of the Hollow Door Anchors.

Installation was a breeze!  I did it by myself and I had both installed in less than 15 minutes.








 I measured where I wanted the Hook Rail, made sure it was level, then marked where my screws/anchors need to go.


I set down the hook rail, drilled a 1/4" pilot hole for the anchors, screwed the anchors in, then screwed the Hook Rail into place over the anchors.


Click HERE to see a video on installing the hollow door anchors.  Simple, right?



I've had these new hook rails on for about a month now.  They haven't budged an inch and I haven't had any problems with them.  I love having a hook for each of my kids' towels in their bathroom and in my master bathroom/walk-in-closet I love having a hook for my robes and one hook for each of our towels.

These was such a price effective, quick, and easy solution to my problem.

1 comment :

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete